What is a book festival?
In short, the AJC DBF is a 3-day book party thrown in one of the best literary cities in the Southeast. Thousands of authors, booksellers, publishers, and readers come together each year for the festive weekend full of conversation, education, and jubilation. Authors sign books, meet their readers in the local restaurants and shops, and discuss their books on over a dozen stages clustered around beautiful downtown Decatur.
What happens at a book festival?
A lot. Every book festival is a little different, but at most festivals you can expect:
- A keynote speech by an author of national or international importance
- Authors reading from their books or talking about their work
- Panels of authors talking about a theme common to all their work
- Authors signing copies of their books for readers
- Tables, tents or booths where you can buy books and other reading-related products
What unique events is the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Decatur Book Festival Presented by DeKalb Medical offering?
The AJC DBF has everything you can find at other book festivals, plus much, much more. Here are some of the highlights:
- A children’s stage featuring interactive activities and presentations by top authors and illustrators
- Live music performed by nationally touring musicians
- Cooking demonstrations by noted cookbook authors
- Food and beer vendors, and a wine garden
- An opening day Children's Parade
- A Youth Poetry Slam, for kids 12-18 years old
- A Poetry Slam for adults
- The Atlanta Fine and Collectible Fair, presented by the Georgia Antiquarian Booksellers Association. Examine and buy collectible books, and bring in your own books for appraisal.
- The Writers Conference @ AJC DBF, presented in partnership with Poets & Writers